http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/story/2011-11-18/egypt-tahrir-square-protests/51291254/1
Continuing my previous post about unrest in the Middle East, protestors turned out for a demonstration in Tahrir square to protest the Egyptian Army's attempts to desginate themselves as permanent rulers.
This has been one of the biggest protests since the Arab Spring period, when Egyptians rallied together to remove Hosni Mubarak as leader. Now they claim that the military leaders wish to replace them, and many have a problem with that. Protestors want a democratically elected leader, not a dictatoship.
While the Egyptain army played a key role in helping remove Mubarak from power, they too seem to be enamored at the chance of military rule. The protests from earlier this year proved that Egyptians are ready to make themselves heard, and this only seems to anger them more. I agree that they should be able to choose who will lead them. A military is designed to protect its citizens from outside threats, not to enact laws and tell its citizens how to live.
I'm really interested in how this will turn out, and I will be watching intently at the next development.
No comments:
Post a Comment